For any homeowner, outdoor enthusiast, or contractor, a portable generator poses infinite potential. Nifty, compact, and impressively powerful, these ingenious machines are substantially versatile in what they can do. Now sure, there are tons of portable generators on the market just waiting to win you over. But there are a few that shine just a little brighter than the others.
The WEN brand has been around for quite some time, and their reliable releases have consistently received high praise from those who patronize their trustworthy name. In the arena of portable generators, the WEN 56180 1800-Watt Portable Generator reins as one of their best compact choices to date, boasting a wealth of features that put it a cut above the rest.
You’ve probably caught wind of the 56180 and wondered whether it’s the right generator for your needs – and that’s why you’re here. Well, we’ve got the answers. Read on through to learn more about one of WEN’s most impressive portable picks and discover how it might just be able to change the way you use alternative power.
- Fuel type: Gasoline
- Starting watts: 1800W
- Running watts: 1500W
- Voltage: 120V
- Amperage: 12.5 amps
- Frequency: 60Hz
- Engine type: 4-stroke OHV
- Displacement: 98cc
- Fuel tank capacity: 1.1 gallons
- Engine oil capacity: 13.5 ounces
- Cooling system: Internal air
- Run-time: 7.5 hours at half load
- Noise level: 63 decibels at 22 feet
- Starting type: Recoil start
- Receptacles: (2) AC120V
- DC Output: 12V
- Dimensions: 19.9” x 15.9” x 17.1”
- Weight: 50 lbs
As one of WEN’s smallest portable generators, the 56180 makes a practical choice for users hoping to enjoy maximum power without having to deal with too much bulk. But because there are loads of other portable generators out there that promise pretty much the same thing, you might be wondering – what exactly makes the 56180 different? Here are some of its key features.
- 4-Stroke 98cc OHV Engine – In the arena of small engines, the 4-stroke OHV engine is often seen as the golden standard, offering excellent performance that’s consistent and reliable for a variety of applications. Seen in motorized lawn mowers and generators, these engines are preferred because of their ability to achieve the ideal fuel-to-air ratio over a shorter period of time. This optimal combination inside the carburetor allows more stable operation with fewer spikes and surges for sustained power that’s safe and stable.
- Lightweight construction – What often draws buyers to the 56180 is its impeccably designed exterior. At just 50 pounds in weight, this compact generator allows easy, effortless transport and storage. So, whether it’s a campsite, a job site, or a household emergency, you can be certain that even a one-man team could set up this powerful energy solution.
- Fuel efficient – You’d think that a 1.1-gallon fuel engine wouldn’t be able to sustain power for too long. But the WEN 56180 proves that notion wrong. With its modest 1.1-gallon tank, this machine can sustain up to 7.5 hours of half-load operation. That means you’d probably be able to keep the entire thing running for 24 hours with just a little less than 4 gallons of gasoline.
- Campsite compliant – Not all generators – even the portable ones – are viable for use in public and national parks. That’s because generators might become an environmental hazard due to their potential to start fires. With that in mind, the WEN 56180 uses a compliant spark arrestor that allows the use of the machine in all national parks and forests. So outdoorsy buyers with a penchant for camping should find suitable purpose with this environmentally conscious generator.
- Durable steel tube frame – There are lots of portable generators out there that feature reinforced plastic bodies with built-in handles that make them look like suitcases. Sure, they might be easier to carry around, but when it comes to robust performance, there’s no going wrong with the WEN 56180’s steel tube frame. Treated and painted for extra durability, the 56180 can last for decades, lending a little extra piece of mind even under the direst of circumstances.
- Internal air-cooling system – Designed with a dedicated internal cooling system, the 56180 is especially resistant to heat damage and overheating even after extended hours of use. Not only does this feature help protect the machine and prolong its usable lifespan, but it also helps guarantee zero heat-related injuries to you when handling your generator before, during, and after use.
- Low-oil shutdown – Operating your engine on dangerously low levels of oil means putting your machine at risk of expensive damage. Good thing the WEN 56180 comes with a low-oil shutdown feature that was designed to prevent exactly that. By detecting fuel oil levels, the generator can self-regulate, shutting itself off at critical oil levels to protect your engine against damage.
- Spark arrestor – Walk into any park or forest with utmost confidence when you bring the WEN 56180 in tow. This workhorse features a state-of-the-art spark arrestor that’s designed to prevent fires and similar hazards all throughout operation. This intuitive little part is what makes the 56180 a viable choice for the avid camper, giving your generator unrestricted access to virtually every park or forest nationwide.
- Simplified control panel – Say goodbye to those insanely crowded control panels that make operations near impossible. The WEN 56180 boasts a panel that’s stripped down, doing away with all those complicated buttons and indicators that make usage confusing and impractical. With its outlets and minimal indicators plainly displayed across a single surface, the 56180 makes sure anyone can operate its intuitive interface.
- EPA-Compliant – Before any generator can be approved for residential and/or commercial use, it needs to pass rigorous testing that ensures both environmental and human safety. The United States Environmental Protection Agency gives its seal of approval to every generator that passes their EPA test – and that includes the WEN 56180. With minimal carbon emissions, you can be certain that this portable model from WEN can be used in every situation (outdoors!) without risking your health or the environment’s.
- CARB Compliant – The California Air Resources Board is an even stricter third-party government regulatory board that puts generators and other automobiles to guarantee their compliance with specific guidelines that protect health and safety of users and the ecosystem. A generator that’s marked CARB compliant – like the WEN 56180 – can be used in virtually any environment (outdoors!) without having to worry about the potential dangers of carbon emissions.
- Silent operation – If you’ve ever heard a generator roar to life, then you probably already know how noisy these things can be. Fortunately, the WEN 65180 dials it down to a reasonable 63 decibels so you can enjoy relative silence whether you’re operating the machine at home, at work, or deep within the great outdoors.
In-depth Review of the WEN 56180
Coming in at the more modest end of WEN’s range of portable generators, the 56180 is compact, lightweight, and powerful. The robust little design uses a steel tube frame that’s treated for long-wearing resistance to all sorts of potential damage. The weatherproof design can sustain efficient operation against rain and heat, letting you operate the machine outdoors without the need to worry about whether or not it will hold up against the elements.
No one wants to fiddle with a confusing machine that’s packed full of power. The WEN 56180 was designed to be especially easy to use. Even first-time gas generator owners should have a relatively effortless experience with the model which features a straightforward control panel. Its AC and DC outlets are placed neatly along the front of the machine with a single engine power switch sitting adjacent to the outlets. This basic panel design makes the machine easy to understand at a glance, letting you run and operate the generator without the need to sift through the user manual.
Now as we move into the arena of performance, the WEN 56180 delivers decent power. Despite its compact size, the machine roars to life with 1800 starting watts of energy that dials down to 1500 running watts as the machine settles. With this wattage, you could easily operate most of your household appliances and electronic devices (however, not all at once), including all your countertop appliances, your refrigerator, and your computers, laptop, and other digital electronics. If you’re using the machine for a job site, then you can bet that it will run all of your hand-held power tools.
What’s especially impressive about the WEN 56180 is its economical performance. With an incredibly small 1.1-gallon fuel tank capacity, this compact generator can sustain power for up to 7.5 hours at half load. For you, that means the potential for extended operation, requiring just a little less than 4 gallons to see you through an entire day of use. That’s what gives the 56180 an edge especially if you’re in the market in search of a generator you can use through long bouts of power interruptions.
If you were concerned about safety, that’s another arena where the WEN 56180 comes out on top. This high-performance machine boasts approval from both the EPA and CARB – two of the authoritative bodies that regulate the distribution of machines like power generators. Having passed both tests, you can rest assured that the 56180 releases negligible amounts of carbon monoxide into the atmosphere, letting you use the machine without posing a risk to your health or to the safety of the environment.
Another safety feature that the 56180 proudly totes is its low-oil automatic shutdown, and its spark arrestor. Playing a vital role in the prevention of fires – especially in open wildland areas like parks and forests – this nifty addition to the 56180 design makes the unit permissible for use in all public nature spaces across the country.
All good things aside, the WEN 56180 isn’t without its flaws. For starters, its oil valve is located so that you won’t be able to access the opening unless you place the machine on a table to give it clearance. That also makes it a bit of a challenge to fill up the engine oil since the awkwardly placed valve doesn’t let you pour directly into the chamber. On top of that, the WEN 56180’s dip stick is painted yellow which doesn’t exactly contrast well with brand new, clean oil. In effect, it becomes almost impossible to tell where your oil level stands especially after a fresh fill.
And finally – you would expect a portable gas generator to be, well, portable. While the 56180 definitely meets that label in terms of its size, it doesn’t have any ergonomic handles, wheels, or carrying attachments that allows easy, effortless portability and transport. Sure, it might not be such a big of a deal if you were using the machine at home or at a job site since you’re likely pulling it from storage just a few yards away. But if you’re camping out and traveling on foot into the wilderness before you set up camp, then it might be impractical to lug this thing around.
- Energy efficient engine runs for up to 7.5 hours on just 1.1 gallons of fuel, depending on your load
- Durable steel tube frame protects all working parts, keeping your generator safe against the elements
- Compact 50-pound construction is lightweight and easy to move and store
- Intuitive user interface allows effortless use straight out of the box
- Sufficient power despite its small size, letting you run most of your bare essentials without a hitch
- Safe operations comply with all regulatory standards to guarantee zero hazards to your health and the environment
- Spark arrestor feature greatly reduces the risk for fires making the machine a viable choice for outdoor use in public parks and forests
- Poorly placed engine oil valve makes it difficult to reach in, refill, and take a reading
- No ergonomic handles or wheels for easy carrying, making it a bit of a hassle for outdoor excursions
About the Manufacturer
Having been around for nearly 70 years, the WEN brand is one of the most prominent names in the energy market. They started out with the development of a variety of power tools, and even pioneered random orbital technology which is used today in modern polishers typically used in the automotive manufacturing industry.
Presently, WEN is making waves in the alternative power industry where it reins as one of the most prominent North American brands in the business. Manufactured in Illinois, WEN generators enjoy a positive reputation in the market as reliable workhorses that’s both versatile and durable. During the brand’s 50-year anniversary in 2001, they claim to have sold a whopping 50 million units worldwide, with the statistics serving as a testament to their high-performance models that deliver what they promise.
The Competition – A Comparison Table
|7.5 hours at half load
|9 hours at half load
|5 hours at half load
|63 dB at max load
|65 dB at max load
|60 dB at max load
|Number of outlets
|2 AC, 1 DC
|2 AC, 1 DC
|2 AC, 1 DC, 1 USB
The Sportsman GEN2000 and the WEN 56200i closely compete with the 56180, boasting a range of features and performance benchmarks that come pretty close to what the 56180 brings to the table. But if we’re talking strictly about fuel economy, the WEN 56180 reigns supreme, offering the longest run-time and the best wattage for every drop of gasoline it uses.
At a glance, you might assume that the Sportsman GEN2000 offers better fuel economy. But keep in mind that the machine offers a running wattage that’s lower than the 56180. In effect, it runs longer, but also has a limited load capacity compared to the robust WEN 56180. On top of that, the Sportsman GEN2000 isn’t CARB-compliant, meaning it isn’t legal to sell or use in the state of California.
In terms of safety, the WEN 56180 also has an edge with its automatic low-oil shutoff feature that requires zero human intervention to protect the machine against damage. This is opposed to the 56200i’s indicators that only warn when oil reaches critically low levels, requiring that you shut off the machine manually. The 56180’s spark arrestor is also especially unique, making it the only choice among the three that’s safe for use across all national parks and forests.
While the 56180 might not be as light or easy to carry as the 56200i, it helps to know that it does offer a far more robust build that’s designed to withstand even the most challenging conditions. So, if you were in search of a reliable workhorse for all seasons, the 56180 might be for you.
Most generators in the 56180’s segment will accept high-quality oil within the 10W-30W range. But if you’re hoping to keep your engine in the best shape possible, the WEN 56180 runs best on 30W engine oil – the typical oil of choice for small engines like those found in lawnmowers and portable generators.
Yes, the WEN 56180 was designed to operate in most weather conditions. The durable steel frame and body conceal all the internal, working parts, keeping the generator well-protected against harsh elements. It should run without a hitch in the rain or out in cold, snowy conditions. But to guarantee the protection of your engine, try to keep the machine in a protected, well-ventilated environment whenever possible. Store the generator in a shed, a garage, or a similar space where it can stay away from the onslaught of cold, dirt, moisture, and rain.
Presently, the WEN brand does not offer a wheel kit for the WEN 56180. Some of their other, larger power generators do come with wheel kits, and they do offer wheel kits as accessories, but none of the available options are compatible with the small 56180. If you’d like to fit your WEN 56180 with a wheel kit, your best option would be to have one fashioned for it through third-party steel fabrication services that can manually measure and design a wheel kit for you.
That depends on the wattage that your air conditioner needs in order to operate. Some of the largest window-type air-conditioning units can use up to 1440W of power. Since the WEN 56180 can generate up to 1500W of energy, it may be able to sustain even these larger window-type units.
Keep in mind though that if the wattage of the unit maxes out the machine’s running wattage, you might not be able to power anything other than the AC itself. It also helps to know that maxing out the load will shorten the runtime to just a little less than 4 hours.
Is the WEN 56180 Worth It?
Whether you’re hoping to secure your home against an upcoming storm, or if you’re simply hoping to find a brand-new companion for work and play, the WEN 56180 offers excellent performance. Powerful and robust, this compact portable generator is a reliable model that delivers sustained energy that can power most of your bare essentials and more.
With its high-performance 4-stroke OHV engine encased in a heavy-duty steel tube frame, the WEN 56180 was designed to withstand heavy shop abuse and extended residential use. So, if you were in search of a reliable workhorse that could keep up with demanding, challenging conditions, the WEN 56180 can definitely meet and perhaps even exceed your expectations.
Sincerely hope that our WEN 56180 1800 Watt review was helpful for you. Shop wisely!